As the holiday season quickly approaches, one way to spread abundance and gratitude is by supporting local organizations working to directly support community members in need. Sierra Community House plays a vital role in providing assistance, support, and resources to individuals and families in need in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee through the holiday season and beyond!
Here are 5 impactful ways to give back and support the work of Sierra Community House this season.
1. Support our hunger relief efforts – Ensuring warmth and nourishment is our goal. You can help us keep our neighbors warm and fed during the holidays by:
- Hosting a virtual food drive– Provide a needed community service with minimal effort and no overhead expenses on your part. Sierra Community House takes care of the details of your virtual food drive for you!
- Offering gift cards to local grocery stores. All gift cards and donations can be dropped off or mailed at any of our offices. Find our addresses on our Contact Us
2. Empower those who may be in crisis – The holidays can be a particularly hard time for many. Our Safe House, 24-hour helpline, and crisis intervention services assist people when they need it the most. You can support our efforts with:
- Gift cards for the Calm App: com/gift-cardand send to [email protected]
- Individual snacks and drinks to provide to community members while they meet with a Sierra Community House advocate.
- Furniture, wall decals, or other home decor items to make our Incline Village Counseling room more of a trauma-informed and welcoming space.
3. Get involved as a volunteer – Volunteering your time is one of the most rewarding ways to establish a deep sense of belonging to your community. Your efforts as a volunteer can create a lasting positive impact for those in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee to appreciate. We invite you to volunteer your skills, talents and time as we support our community members. Join us as a trusted volunteer in one of our four program areas: Hunger Relief, Crisis Intervention & Prevention, Family Support & Community Engagement, and Mediation & Legal Assistance. Sign up here
4. Give some joy to our programs, staff and volunteers – they put in many extra hours over the holidays. Here are a few ideas to support the programs and people that make such tremendous impact:
- Shop our Amazon wish List– We asked our staff what would make the season brighter for the people we serve, our staff and our volunteers and community members.
- Buy gift cards to local coffee shops, restaurants, or movie theaters (support local!)
- Arrange a time to provide snacks, treats or meals to one of our offices.
5. Give Directly to Sierra Community House – The most effective way for us to help people in crisis is through direct donations. Your support allows Sierra Community House to do things like secure short-term housing for someone experiencing domestic violence, provide holiday meals to those who can’t afford them, and offer vital legal assistance to those in need. Your donations help us to remain adaptable and support community members in the unique ways they require. Please consider becoming a monthly donor—it’s an easy way to give to SCH each month and will make BIG impact. We couldn’t do this work without you!
For more information or set up a fundraising effort, please contact Allison Edwards at [email protected].
If you would like to set up a “Giving Tree” at your workplace, church, or other space, please feel free to print these ornaments below. Reach out to Allison Edwards with any questions or ideas: [email protected]
SCH_Ornaments PDF Download