What is new?
- On March 9th, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that the public charge rule has been permanently blocked nationwide. Remember, submitting an application that you are entitled to can’t hurt an immigration benefit.
- On December 7th, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that theDeferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program has been restored in its entirety.
To be eligible for DACA, you must…
- Have arrived in the United States before June 15, 2007 and remained in the United States since then
- Have arrived in the United States before your 16th birthday
- Be currently in school OR have a high school diploma OR have an equivalent degree (GED)
- Not have been convicted of a felony, or a significant misdemeanor. Community members who have been arrested or who have traveled abroad since 2007 may still be able to apply for DACA, but they should consult with our Immigration Specialist first
Benefits of DACA include
- protection from deportation
- work authorization
- Social Security card
Where and how to apply?
Call Sierra Community house for public charge questions, screenings for DACA qualifications, and application assistance. Call us at (530) 546-0952.